Home Remedies For Peptic Ulcer
A peptic ulcer is an area of erosion in the mucous membranes of the stomach or duodenum, the upper portion of the intestine, directly below the stomach. There are many home remedies for ulcers.
Causes of Peptic Ulcer
Ulcers are in part caused (and can be worsened) by the corrosive action of gastric acids. Gastric juices are part hydrochloric acid and part pepsin, an enzyme that helps break down food. The walls of the stomach secrete a mucus substance to protect the linings from the corrosive action of the stomach acid. However if there is too much acid or not enough mucus coating the walls of the stomach, a peptic ulcer may develop. External substances can also irritate the linings of the stomach, things like tobacco, alcohol, and some drugs like Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Motrin, etc. are part of the ulcer-causing irritants. An ulcer is a breach on the surface of the skin or on the membrane lining a cavity, such as a stomach. The destruction of tissue and the cavity so formed is the term applied to ulcers. Stress and worry are supposed to be their causes, but one may suffer from it, and another might not.
It’s now known that a bacterium called H. pylori, can also contribute to the development of ulcers, this type of bacterium is commonly found in the lining of the stomach and is the principal cause of ulcers. It has been shown that 90% of people suffering from ulcers in the duodenum and 75% of all gastric ulcers are caused by this bacteria, which attacks the walls of the stomach, it has been linked to gastric cancer as well.
Ulcers are very common in the bottom part of the stomach and upper part of the duodenum, and men are more likely to develop ulcers than women.
Symptoms of peptic ulcers
The symptoms of peptic ulcers are very different from person to person, some feel a burning pain in the stomach and others feel it in the chest, most people feel better during meals and others feel worst eating, in any case, the pain may be severe enough to cause insomnia and can be triggered by stress.
Home Remedies For Peptic Ulcer
- It’s very important to follow a diet rich in fiber and low in fats. Eat steamed green vegetables like alfalfa, broccoli, and tomatoes. Sufficient rest and sleep are a must.
- Fenugreek leaves (Methi) are also beneficial for this ailment. It is an effective home remedy for stomach ulcers.
- Bamboo leaves are beneficial in the treatment of stomach problems.
- Take 30 grams of pure odorless castor oil with 250 grams of lukewarm milk. It is also a good remedy for stomach ulcers. Eat small portions to avoid producing too much digestive acid, but eat frequently to keep these acids from attacking the stomach lining.
- Studies have shown that cabbage juice cures ulcers in less than ten days, prepare cabbage juice and drink one quarter a day divided into four doses (must be taken immediately after juicing). If you can’t tolerate the taste or odor of cabbage there is a Chinese remedy made with dried cabbage that has been used for many years with excellent results.
- For bleeding ulcers eat organic baby food and drink brown rice water to soothe the digestive system.
- Avoid milk, although it soothes the digestive tract and neutralizes stomach acid, it also stimulates the production of more acid, further irritating the ulcerated area.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, citrus juices, sugar, and hot and spicy foods, these substances irritate the stomach and encourage the production of gastric acid.
- Take 5000 IU of vitamin A four times a day, for six weeks, to heal the mucus membrane.
- Take vitamin E to heal the stomach linings.
Author: Dr Izharul Hasan