Did You Know Facts: 50 Interesting Facts Collection
1. Lithuania has the highest suicide rate in the world.
2. The country code for Russia is “007”.
3. Russians generally answer the phone by saying, “I’m listening”.
4. The U.S. bought Alaska for 2 cents an acre from Russia.
5. One in 5 of the world’s doctors are Russian.
6. Antarctica is the only continent that does not have land areas below sea level.
7. The people of Israel consume more turkeys per capita than any other country.
8. Nepal is the only country that has a non-rectangular flag. It is also asymmetrical.
9. 1,800 cigarettes are smoked per person each year in China.
10. Respiratory Disease is China’s leading cause of death.
11. There are more than 40,000 characters in the Chinese script.
12. More people speak English in China than in the United States.
13. The toothbrush was invented in China in 1498.
14. Mongolia is the largest landlocked country.
15. Vatican City is the smallest country in the world, with a population of 1000 and just 108.7 acres.
16. Vatican City is the smallest country in the world, with a population of 1000 and just 108.7 acres.
17. 98% of Japanese are cremated.
18. The number “four” is considered unlucky in Japan because it is pronounced the same as “death”.
19. The average Japanese household watches more than 10 hours of television a day.
20. The Philippines has about 7,100 islands, of which only about 460 are more than 1 square mile in area.
21. Warriors in the Philippines used yo-yos as weapons in the 16th century.
22. Australian soldiers used the song “We’re Off to See the Wizard” as a marching song in WWII.
23. The Australian $5 to $100 notes are made of plastic.
24. The Nullarbor Plain of Australia covers 100,000 square miles (160,900 km) without a tree.
25. Tasmania, Australia has the cleanest air in the inhabited world
26. Greenland is the largest island in the world.
27. The first female guest host of “Saturday Night Live” was Candace Bergen.
28. In 1933, Mickey Mouse, an animated cartoon character, received 800,000 fan letters.
29. The Simpsons is the longest-running animated series on TV.
30. The first toilet ever seen on television was on “Leave It to Beaver.”
31. In every episode of Seinfeld, there is a Superman somewhere.
32. The average human brain has about 100 billion nerve cells.
33. Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles (274 km) per hour.
34. The thyroid cartilage is more commonly known as Adam’s apple.
35. Your stomach needs to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it would digest itself.
36. The average life of a taste bud is 10 days.
37. The average cough comes out of your mouth at 60 miles (96.5 km) per hour.
38. Relative to size, the strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
39. When you sneeze, all your bodily functions stop even your heart.
40. Babies are born without kneecaps. They do not appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age.
41. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.
42. Children grow faster in the springtime.
43. It takes the stomach an hour to break down cows’ milk.
44. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
45. Blondes have more hair than dark-haired people do.
46. The average human head weighs about 8 pounds.
47. An average human scalp has 100,000 hairs.
48. The average human blinks their eyes 6,205,000 times each year.
49. Your skull is made up of 29 different bones.
50. Ancient Egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the deaths of their cats.